The site has a
long history as an industrial working waterfront. From the Hudson River Steam Sugar Refinery in
1849, to the Hastings Pavement Company, to the American Brass Company, to the
more recent additions of BP, Exxon/Mobil, and Uhlich Color Company, many
industries have occupied the waterfront in Hastings. Perhaps most notably, this site was home to
the National Conduit and Cable Company / Anaconda Wire and Cable Company, which
manufactured a variety of wire and cable on the site until 1976.
Though all of the
site’s buildings have been removed, the site’s industrial uses are still an
important component of its history, its narrative, and its current clean-up
efforts as a New York State Superfund site.